Re: GPU chips vs Video Cards

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 01:01:32PM -0800, suvayu ali wrote:
> 2008/12/23 Kam Leo <kam.leo@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> > On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Dave Feustel <dfeustel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > Will the use of GPU chips eliminate the need for video cards
> > > and/or eliminate the security vulnerabilities that the video
> > > cards introduce into operating systems?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > No. Similar to what is already on the market. You have integrated
> > video on many motherboards but still have a market for high
> > performance (gamers, etc.) video.
> >

> I just bought a Radeon HD 4870 yesterday. Now until the day an integrated
> chip can match that, as Leo says, a market for high end graphics solutions
> will always exist.
>
> However I don't understand what you mean by security vulnerabilities
> introduced by discrete video cards. Could you elaborate on that a little
> more?

Various OpenBSD developers have stated that there are OS vulnerabilities
introduced by the use of video card hardware features by X. It's been a
while since I read the details, but I wonder if the GPU chips might be
able to run in user (non-priviledged) mode only, thus precluding the
possibility of exploits based upon direct hardware access given the
video card software.