Re: f10 no sound through usb headset

Just a thought since this post. See below.

On Tuesday 23 December 2008 18:37, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 December 2008 17:12, Don Raikes wrote:
> > Nigel,
> >
> > Ok so here it goes:
> >
> > The system is a gateway desktop pc about 6 years old.
> >
> > cat /proc/asound/cards (without the usb headset plugged in:
> >  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
> >                       HDA Intel at 0x88300000 irq 16
> >
> > cat /proc/asound/cards (with usb headset plugged in:
> >
> >  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
> >                       HDA Intel at 0x88300000 irq 16
> >  1 [default        ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set
> >                       C-Media USB Headphone Set   at
> > usb-0000:00:1d.2-2.1.7, full speed
>
> Hi Don.
>
> The above is fair enough. If you had more than one USB audio device plugged
> in, I'd expect to see a card listed, when running, cat /proc/asound/cards,
> when the headset is not plugged in.
>
> Try opening alsamixer as user, on Gnomes terminal, or KDE's Konsole, as
> below. alsamixer -D hw:1
>
> This should show any controls available for your Cmedia USB headset.
> Something may be muted (M key toggles mute/unmute), or perhaps there is a
> slider that needs to be pushed up.
>
> Pulseaudio, which has been the default soundserver since F8, can be a pain
> in the neck, and sometimes causes problems with various audio apps. You can
> disable it by simply removing the package, alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, then
> your audio apps will use alsa directly. You can also re-enable it later if
> you wish, by just re-installing the package.
>
> yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
>
> If you're using KDE, as I am, removing the above package, will also remove
> kde-settings-pulseaudio, so when re-installing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, you
> will also have to re-install kde-settings-pulseaudio.
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

Also try, if you still have pulseaudio enabled, the alsamixer command as
below.

alsamixer -D hw:0

This will show all controls for your soundcard. I have no experience using USB
headsets, but you may find that some slider needs to be pushed up to get
sounds out of your headset. The F4 key will switch alsamixer to capture
settings, and have found that for my TV card on one distro, I have to have
some sliders pushed up to get sounds out from my TV card on the capture view
of alsamixer. Just some thoughts, as I'm running out of suggestions.

Nigel.