Re: /etc/profile

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:22:37AM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 21Dec2008 13:37, Dave Feustel <dfeustel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> | I've been running F9 for a while. About two weeks ago
> | I started getting sequences like the following every
> | time I log in:
> |
> | [1]     3875
> | [2]     3877
> | [3]     3879
> | [4]     3880
> | [5]     3881
> | [6]     3882
> | [7]     3883
> | [8]     3885
> | [9]     3888
> | [10]    3891
> | [11]    3895
> | [12]    3899
> | [13]    3901
> | [14]    3903
> | [15]    3905
> | [16]    3907
> | [17]    3909
> |
> | I got rid of this by setting permissions of /etc/profile to 000,
> | although the sequences still show up when I log in as root.
> | I've looked at the /etc/profile code but I don't understand it.
> | What code in /etc/profile generates these sequences?
>
> It sounds like it is being sourced by an interactive job control
> capable shell; that looks like the job control stuff reporting the job
> numbers and process ids of background jobs as they are started.
>
> Are you sourcing /etc/profile yourself, by hand?

No. This happens at login after the motd and before the first line of
my .profile. the sequence of differences between the items of the list
is always the same, although the starting number of the list changes
with each login. As I wrote before, this behavior started out of the
blue about 2 weeks ago.