Re: changing 'hosts' to get my machine name ?

Thanks Thomas;

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 23:38 -0600, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > This is an old stupid question but I am stuck nonetheless.  I have
> > googled for several different ways but none work.
> >
> > I have changed my /etc/hosts file to:
> >  127.0.0.1 	CASE localhost.localdomain localhost
> >
> > This is the same as from my F9 /etc backup.
> >
> > CASE is the name of my machine.  None of my programs seems to recognize
> > it except 'hostname' -s or -f.  The same problem with
> > localhost.localdomain.  I have changed it manually before in earlier
> > Fedora versions but now nothing seems to work.  If I remember correctly
> > there where two files that needed changing.
> >
> > I just installed F10 and must have missed Anaconda asking for my machine
> > name.
> >

> Your hostname is set in /etc/sysconfig/network.  /etc/hosts is only for
> name resolution, although you should prbably set your hostname there as
> well.  You should use lower case for the hostname, some apps don't grok
> mixed or upper case.

I set the hostname with lower case in network.  Everything works fine --
I guess I just had a brain cramp or something.  However, I had heard
that some programs don't understand upper case hostnames.  In F9 I
purposefully used CASE to see.  I didn't hit one program that had a
problem.  I wonder if that means the world has changed by now and a user
can get away with using upper case.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 10, Gnome 2.24.2