Re: Hidden download performance problem with Fedora 6-10

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Joshua C. <joshuacov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> +1
>
> I've seen really fast mirrors but when it comes to update the speed
> drops to ~300kbps. when directly downloading from a mirror I get ~
> 1,6mbps. with other distro I haven't seen this, though. it is not a
> connection problem but a fedora problem (I think).
>
> if i can assist, let me know.
>
> 2008/12/19, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:39:31 -0800
>> Chuck <ctleis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I have not used Fedora because of the following issue.
>>>
>>> I get VERY SLOW performance or hangs when downloading from
>>> repositories etc. on every Fedora version I have tried.  I have seen
>>> users raising this issue since Fedora Core 4.  So I can't use Fedora;
>>> but would like to.  I apologize for the length of the message.  I
>>> have tried the Forum but got no help there.
>>
>> ...snip...
>>
>>> Non-stop.  Just over an hour duration.  Full speed and ON THE VERY
>>> SAME HARDWARE.

It appears that there is a bandwidth shaper involved ...
It is not uncommon for ISPs to hobble links when they
detect some types of download.

Also when packets are lost the link speed and TCP/IP window for the
download is reshaped.  One Vista I see what you see so I am inclined
to believe that the network has issues.

I would use the bandwidth limits of curl or wget to see if I can
keep under the rate that triggers packet loss or detection triggers.

--
        NiftyFedora
        T o m   M i t c h e l l