Re: Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Mark wrote:
> To be completely off topic -- the discussion about browser mode seems
> over anyway -- the kde 4 menu does suck. besides that it's buggy it's
> not intuitive although it might be better if the existing bugs are
> fixed. The only thing it is is looking better then what was the
> classic menu.

Well, I can only suggest that you talk to us on #fedora-kde and try to
gather feedback in some sensible way (but a ML vote is not a good way to do
so, as you have seen - we really don't need another flamewar like this
one!). That's assuming KDE 4's classic menu implementation is good enough
for you: if it also fails to meet your expectations, then actual coding
work is needed! We can't just use the original Kicker menu, it doesn't work
in KDE 4.

Please keep in mind that many people do like the new Kickoff menu, and that
we did hold a kind of vote among KDE maintainers and the result was 3-2 for
Kickoff (and for the record, I voted for the classic menu, I hate Kickoff).
We also tried to gather user feedback but didn't get all that much of it,
maybe because it was too early and KDE 4 wasn't widely used yet (it was
before the Fedora 9 release, so it was only in Rawhide).

Also keep in mind that changing the menu style is just 2 clicks
(right-click, Switch to Classic menu style), KDE upstream made it easily
accessible because they know there are differing strong preferences. (If
the default is switched to Classic, the people who want Kickoff will
complain, we can't make everyone happy.)

Oh, and if you want to participate in our decision making, the best way is
to join the KDE SIG and help with KDE packaging. :-)

        Kevin Kofler