Re: 1-second kernel

g wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 15:47 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>> I doubt that you will see a practical five second boot on server or
>>> workstation commercial hardware any time soon.
>> Five seconds is probably ambitious, but I still like how my old Amiga
>> would COLD BOOT in 13 seconds, warm boot was 11 seconds.  That's from
>> off, to fully working system.
>
> also, think about how much memory you had and was it 8 bit. hard drives?

One other thing - was the Amiga booting from ROM?

I know my CP/M system with a 4mz Z80 booted almost instantly when
using a RAM disk for drive A. 256k of extended addressing static RAM
with an onboard battery backup and a smart disk controller board
with its own 8085 processor and DMA memory moves. (4 5-1/4"
floppies, 4 8" floppies, 3 MFM hard drives, and a memory drive - not
that I had that many drives attached.) The Z80 board and the disk
controller board booted from ROM, then loaded the OS. It took a bit
longer booting from the hard drive. Now, if I just wanted the Z-80
monitor program, that was up as soon as the power supply was stable.

Mikkel