Re: Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 21:56 +0100, Mark wrote:
> Lets use the browser view of nautilus in the next fedora release.

That used to be the default, long ago, then some twerp decided that we
needed a desktop full of Windows, like Amiga Workbench 1986, Windows 3,
etc.  Don't people learn from other's historical mistakes?

A desktop full of windows is a mess, requiring you to shuffle them all
around, or do keyboard tricks so that new windows close off the prior
window.  Soon users get tired of having to drill through dozens of
windows, so they dump all their files in the parent window.  Or they
can't find what they want, because they get lost in the maze.  Icon
views don't show you important file details.  Icon view windows only
work if you've got about eight files in the directory, more than that,
and you're keyhole viewing the contents.

Likewise for desktops full of icons—all randomly arranged (they're
certainly not logically arranged by function), and hidden underneath the
windows you're using.

For the last several releases, each time I install I have to configure
the stupidity out of them.

KDE's even worse - whacking great big menu, needs a search function to
find things because it's two awkward to use as a menu.  A gazillion and
one configuration options that you fiddle with rather than actually use
the computer.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686