Re: PackageKit major annoyances

On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 21:40 +0100, Mark wrote:
> 3. Oke, mplayer is done installing now and now it asks me to run it..
> why?

I've seen this with one package (it ran after installation), and it's a
really incredibly dumb idea!

Why?  Because on Linux, you install as root (you have to), and then the
package is getting run as the root user.  Apart from the security
implications of that, you don't normaly run the application as root
(unless you practice bad computing habits), so whatever you do now will
not apply when you later on run it as yourself.  You'll end up painting
users into the run-as-root corner, like Windows does.

Even if you could intelligently, post installation, switch away from
root back to the user who started installing things, do you really want
thirty recently installed programs run to set them up?  I don't!  And
what about running them for all of the the other users on the system.

Which dimwit implemented that sort of behaviour?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.