Re: More bad weather

On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 12:02 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 18 December 2008, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> >Suddenly (a couple of days ago), the GNOME weather applet and the
> >weather icon in the clock applet have stopped connecting to whatever the
> >server is.  The weather applet just shows '--' and the clock shows empty
> >space where the weather info belongs.  The weather applet detail window
> >just shows blanks.  The problem is not dependent on the choice of
> >location.  Restarting doesn't help.
> >
> >I'm not sure I can trace the beginning of the problem to a particular
> >update--not an obvious one, in any case.  There was a glibc update on
> >Monday (along with some others that don't look like they are likely to
> >be relevant) that might have been about when it started.
> >
> >Anybody else seeing this in F10?  Any idea how to troubleshoot?
> >
> >Thanks.
>
> I don't think keeping that server running at the local NWS places has the
> highest priority, Matthew.  My service (as the weather plugin for gkrellm
> see's it, I'm not using gnome) from KCKB is intermittent, down for 2-3 days
> at a time, working ATM.  Presently 37F, 93% humidity.  Overcast, wind N 3,
> chill 35F dew point 30F I guess, the shorthand gkrellm uses (or the NWS)
> leaves a bit to be desired.
>
> You might try that plugin for gkrellm as you can assign it to about any NWS
> facility with the web based station ID function.  If your local one is down,
> try another to test your install.  If another one works, then its probably
> just the local one not even knowing its crashed.

Interesting.  I don't know much about the organization of the NWS
servers, but I do know the problem first appeared in Portland OR and
persists here in Clemson SC.  So if the servers are dynamic and
geographically local, then there is more to the problem than just a
local server failure.

Is the server set for the applets someplace in GNOME configs?

Thanks for the insight.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences