Re: mount point for new partition

Peter Lesterhuis wrote:
Still trying to install F10 on a new box with vista pre-installed. Initially installation stopped after the message that anaconda was running. I found out that when I boot with the kernel option "text" I can get further. I haven't figured out why the graphical mode doen't work, maybe there is an issue with the videocard (NVIDIA). I have come to the point where I must choose the partition to install F10 on. I have created a new primary partition on the SATA hard drive, which I can recognize by its size, so the choice is easy. Now I have to give it a mount point. Here would like some advice. Should I name it "/"? I need some guidance here, because I never had to do these manual steps before. Usually the installer can find the newly created partition.
I appreciate your help.
Peter

The nvidia card may be the problem. You can pass xdriver=vesa to use the VESA driver or xdriver=nv or xdriver=nouveau

You will need to work out getting the nvidia rpms later if nv or nouveau would not be good enough.

Regarding the mountpoint, the / will have everything on one big partition, I believe swap needs its own partition also but could be a swap file. I'd make a /, a /boot, a swap and a /home partition after deleting the partition you set aside for Linux usage. The swap is a special filesytem type you can select from the choices and also marked differently if you ran fdisk. The other partitions can be selected as ext3 or ext4. 100 MB is usually the size set out for the boot partition. The /home should be set to the size you need for user data. the / for system should be fairly large also for programs. Swap is usually twice your memory in the computer size.