Re: F9.5 -- HDD fails when moved to different system

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have a couple of decTOPs
> (http://www.google.com/interstitial?url=http://www.dataevolution.com/dectop%2520info%25202.htm),
> I have had problems with these systems with Centos 5, and had to perform
> the install on some old Compaq SFF, move the drive over, boot in init 3,
> and run 'system-config-display --reconfig'.
>
> So after the F9 install failed to recognize the graphics card at all (a
> geode GX2 that Centos at least saw, but did not handle right), I did my
> F9 install on the Compaq SFF, upgraded to F9.5, and set inittab to init
> at level 3, then moved the disk.
>
> Well the boot totally fails.  What I get is about:
>
>    Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
>    No volume groups found
>    Volume group "hda_00" not found
> Unable to access resume device (/dev/sda2)
> mount: error mounting /dev/root on sysroot as ext3: No such file or
> directory
> setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
> setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
> setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
> Mount failed for selinuxfs on /selinux: No such file or directory
> switchchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
>
> And then the system hangs.
>
> I move the drive back to the Compaq SFF, and it boots.  I put the drive
> built on the decTOP but without any video back in the decTOP and it
> boots.  I move the Compaq built drive back to the decTOP and it fails
> again.
>
> I see a couple of threads about HDD moves not working with F10, but this
> is F9, and I can move HDDs without any problem with Centos 5.  Oh, I
> could not even build with Centos 5.2 on the decTOPs because of a kernel
> bug in the install CD (patched later), so if I built on the decTOP it
> was with Centos 5.1 then upgraded to 5.2, then fight with the video, or
> build with Centos 5.2 on the Compaq and move the drive then reconfig the
> video.
>
> Any ideas on what is going wrong here?

The kernels used in Fedora, at least as far back as F7, require the
correct driver module for the drive hardware to be in the initrd.
When switching IDE or SCSI controllers, you often need to build a
new initrd. The same methods talked about in the F10 thread will
work here.

Mikkel