Re: adjusting window sizes in Gnome

fred smith wrote, On 12/15/2008 08:55 PM:
Another question re F10 on my eeepc 901:

I've got most stuff adjusted to my liking. But there are a few apps whose
default window size is > the 600 pixels of my screen. I know I can drag
the entire window around with ALT-DRAG--that works fine.
<SNIP>
There must be a Gnome setting somewhere for this, but so far I haven't
found it.

This is irritating, the only way I can then resize a window to be taller
than the screen is by dragging the BOTTOM off the screen and stretching from the top. Since I'm usually doing this because the row of buttons at
or near the bottom has been obscured, that means I then have to drag the
bottom off the screen, stretch the top, then drag the top off the screen
so I can access the bottom, rather than just enlarging it from the bottom.

Suggstions welcome.

Thanks!

you might see if some of the offending applications obey the X or Xt lib '-geometry' setting, i.e, on the command line try:
bigprog -geometry 512x600

from the X man page
-geometry WIDTHxHEIGHT

Then modify the buttons (in menus) you click to pass the '-geometry' setting of your choice.

--
Todd Denniston