Re: F10, VMware Server 2.0, and selinux

On Mon December 15 2008 4:04:28 pm Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> No. What I'm saying is that the RPM versions are going away,
> probably after this next release or so. VMware wants to move
> to a common installer between Debian and RPM (and others)
> based distros. My own philosophical issue with this decision
> is, allegorically speaking, their solution to dealing with 3
> different package installation methods has been
> (unfortunately) to add a fourth.
>
> That said, the .bundle installer works pretty well and
> automates lots of things, but it violates the sanctity of the
> built-in package management tools. That's not a very good
> thing to do in an RPM (or Debian) based distro.
>
> During the 2.0 betas, they all but scuttled the RPMs because
> they wanted people to start using the .bundle installer. So it
> still should work for now, but you should plan for that the
> .bundle installer will be the way forward in the future.
>
> I'm holding out that future capabilities in Package Kit might
> help alleviate this. We'll see...

ah...well, this may be the excuse I need to really start
investigating the linux based alternatives - my needs are rather
small in the great scheme of things - I can run Word natively
now, which is one reason I used to want a Windows VM;
unfortunately, connecting to a Win2008 Exchange Server is not
working except through IMAP, which isn't available in my
environment; most of my other needs are purely of a hobbyist
nature - thanks for the explanation

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA