Re: fedora 10 and an ati 9600 graphics card

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 18:28:45 +0000,
  Don Raikes <DON.RAIKES@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed fedora 10 onto my gateway desktop system. The system has an ATI 9600 graphics card, nad when I am running in console mode (which I do frequently), my braille display is showing a lot of random graphics characters.
>
> My daughter looked at the display a week ago or so, and said there were a bunch of single and double virtical lines covering the display.
>
> Is there a new driver I need, or an old driver I need for this graphics card to enable this system to work properly?

In the short run you can add nomodeset to your kernel options in
/boot/grub/grub.conf .
Recent updates for xorg-x11-drv-ati and the kernel have mostly eliminated
this problem. You might want to look at bug 466663 if things are still
doing this after updating. xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.9.0-62.fc10 is pending for
updates and should be available as a normal update in a day or so.