Re: problem with grub? mounting local file system (failed)

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Mikkel L. Ellertson
<mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> clarice oshea wrote:
>> had to reinstall my microsoft OS on a dual boot system
>>
>> MS OS on scsi drive 0
>> Fedora 9 on scsi drive 1
>>
>> I did the usual procedure to reinstall grub
>>
>> rescue disk
>> chroot /mnt/sysimage
>> .  .  .  .
>>
>> grub> find   /grub/grub.conf
>> (hd1,0)                                        looked suspicious
>>
> This would be the second drive, first partition. That sounds correct
> for your setup.
>
>> grub>root   (hd1,0)
>>
>> grub>setup (hd1)
>>
>> no errors but something was put on hd1 I'll bet
>>
>> did this 2-3 times and no dual boot
>>
>> then I did
>>
>> grub>setup (hd0) and that worked
>>
> You finely put the Grub boot loader in the MBR of the boot drive.
> Remember, you boot from hd0, not hd1.
>
>> I have the dual boot working but in the startup messages
>>
>> mounting local file systems FAILED (in red)
>>
>> everything works OK though
>>

>> Is there a way to repair the damage?
>>
>> A second reboot showed the same error on boot
>>
> Check your /etc/fstab, and compare it to the output of the mount
> command to see what filesystem did not get mounted. Without knowing
> what filesystem is giving you trouble, we can not help you fix it.
>
> Mikkel
> --
>
>  Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!
>

> --

I just loaded fedora 9 last month and am learning pretty fast.

/etc/fstab
#

tmpfs   /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0       0
devpts  /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0       0
sysfs   /sys    sysfs   defaults        0       0
proc    /proc   proc    defaults        0       0
#Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
UUID=d22bdaa7-ca74-4bbf-8233-21d0b8e5d227       /boot   ext3
defaults        1       2
#Entry for /dev/sda1 :
UUID=DC70F0AD70F0900E   /media/sda1     ntfs-3g
defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8     0       0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00        /       ext3    defaults        1       1
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01        swap    swap    defaults        0       0

I'll have to study up on all this to find out what it means

as I said fedora 9 is running well as far as I can tell