Re: Laptop Keyboard asdf, jkl;, enter disabled on boot up

On Saturday 13 December 2008, Jim Duda wrote:
>I have a very weird problem.
>
>Running FC9, Compaq Presario F500.  Only about a year old.
>
>Recently (past few weeks), whenever I boot up, the following
>keys are non responsive; asdfjkl; and the enter key.
>
>If I wait a few minutes, like 3 or 4 minutes, they start
>working.  If I restart a couple of times, they start
>working too, however, I think this is the same 3-4
>minute delay.
>
>It would appear to be a hardware problem (bad keyboard),
>however, once the keys start working, I never have another
>problem, until the next reboot.
>
>Could there be some software issue here?
>
>I really like the laptop, works well, I really don't
>want to take it apart unless I have to.
>
>Jim

I suspect the keyboard has been contaminated, possibly by a soft drink?

I won't be responsible, but I've heard, and did it just once 15 years ago,
that the top rack in the dishwasher is safe.  Use only a teensy amount of a
liquid detergent, something that can be completely removed by the rinsing the
dishwasher does.  Common dishwasher powders are very brutal, but a few drops
of Palmolive or Joy have been reported to work.  I'd remove it before the dry
cycle gets too hot, and let it dry in air a couple of days before putting it
back in the lappy.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)