Verifying inode number using rpm and ls

[Apologies for cross-posting from the opensuse list]

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could tell me why there is a difference in
the reported inode number of a file from the 'ls' command, and from the
'rpm' command. For example, using the /usr/bin/wget file, I get:

         ls -i /usr/bin/wget
         365523 /usr/bin/wget

         rpm -qf --qf '[%{FILEINODES}:%{FILENAMES}\n]' /usr/bin/wget|
grep ':/usr/bin/wget$'
         157816006:/usr/bin/wget

I realise that prelinking will cause the inode number to change, but
even without prelinking the numbers reported are not the same.

Surely the rpm package manager database will report the inode number of
the installed file. Running 'rpm -Vf /usr/bin/wget' verifies the file as
okay, although as far as I am aware rpm verification does not include
testing the inode number.

Thanks,

John.