Re: newly installed services, like mysql, not on by default after reboot?

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson
>> <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I could have sworn that not turning on a service when it was
>>> installed was the default. You are supposed to configure the new
>>> service, and then turn it on.
>>
>> these sort of actions are done in the postinstall scriplets in the rpm
>> packages.  You can check the logic  using rpm -q --scripts packagename
>>   for any installed package.
>>
>> It should be realitively easy to confirm or disproof that there was or
>> was not a logic change between F9 and F10. I just dont have an F9
>> install handy to compare with for mysql or any other service.
>>
>> -jef
>
> F6:
> postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
> if [ $1 = 1 ]; then
>    /sbin/chkconfig --add mysqld
> fi
> /bin/chmod 0755 /var/lib/mysql
> /bin/touch /var/log/mysqld.log
>
> F7:
> (Don't have an instance I can check...sorry)
>
> F8:
> postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
> if [ $1 = 1 ]; then
>    /sbin/chkconfig --add mysqld
> fi
> /bin/chmod 0755 /var/lib/mysql
> /bin/touch /var/log/mysqld.log
>
> F9:
> postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
> if [ $1 = 1 ]; then
>    /sbin/chkconfig --add mysqld
> fi
> /bin/chmod 0755 /var/lib/mysql
> /bin/touch /var/log/mysqld.log
>
> F10:
> postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
> if [ $1 = 1 ]; then
>    /sbin/chkconfig --add mysqld
> fi
> /bin/chmod 0755 /var/lib/mysql
> /bin/touch /var/log/mysqld.log
>
> No differences I can see.

I have never had an installed service auto start on a Fedora based
system. I had assumed there was a policy against this. I have not
problem with this possible policy.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )