Re: infrastructure modest proposal

Jeff Spaleta wrote, On 12/12/2008 05:21 PM:
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Anne Wilson <annew@xxxxxxx> wrote:
How often has this happened?  In the real scheme of things, what percentage of
packages have caused problems like this?  I'm not denying the problems that
some people have had, but is there, perhaps, some over-reaction?

How often has what happened? An accidental push to stable meant for
testing? I don't think we could get an accurate count on that.

<SNIP>

Also keep in mind that every legitimate security update which does not
go to updates-testing presents a similar breakage risk because it
short-circuiting a QA process for the sake of rushing the security fix
to users.

-jef

While looking at LWN's coverage of the current issues[1] I noticed among the
comments a link to an update policy development page for fedora[2], which then
points to a  Package Maintainer Responsibility Policy[3] as the current policy.

Perhaps folks should look at these before making some of their comments. [Not aimed at JS, this just happened to be last message in the thread when I began the reply.]

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/311146/
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UpdatesPolicy
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/MaintainerResponsibility
--