Re: Why was this dbus disaster released mid-release?

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for pointing out those posts. The fedora-devel thread was quite long
> and I stopped following it. I assume most other users are in the dark as
> well and I wanted to start a thread on it. Instead of having a thousand
> "PackageKit is broke" threads, a dbus thread was called for.

Dbus hasn't been the only package affected by a pre-mature push to
stable.  Its happened to less critical applications as well. I've had
applications I had to scramble to update because a dep was pushed
directly into stable by another maintainer.

We have to be very careful about finding the balance between
protecting users from human error without overburdening maintainers
with a set of bureaucracy that makes it more difficult for them to
contribute.

Part of that balance could be having more automated testing.. but that
sort of thing takes people to develop and implement.  If there was a
general call made for new contributors to help implement more
automated testing would you step up and help write code to implement
that?

-jef