Re: f9 FireFox and Sound (more info)

OK, Ive tried some more experiments and here are the results.
This looks like a permission problem somewhere, but I havent a clue where.

I have run f9 with and without the two modules alsa-plugins-pulseaudio and
libflashsupport, whose names have come up in previous messages in this
thread.

It seems that aplay wont work at all without the modules, but Firefox will
as root but not me.

With the modules intalled aplay has problems for both me and root, while
again FireFox will work for root, but not me.

Here is the output from the tests:

===================

without
        alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
        libflashsupport

[reg@deneb AU]$ aplay wheee.au
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver
returned error: No such
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned
error: No such file
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned
error: No such file o
ALSA lib conf.c:3985:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or
directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2184:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
aplay: main:583: audio open error: No such file or directory

[root@deneb AU]# aplay wheee.au
Playing Sparc Audio 'wheee.au' : Mu-Law, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono

Firefox
        as me, no audio
        as root, WORKS FINE

=====================

with
        alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
        libflashsupport

[reg@deneb AU]$ aplay weee.au
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
*** Is your sound server running?
*** See: http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/Troubleshooting
aplay: main:583: audio open error: Connection refused

[root@deneb AU]# aplay wheee.au
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
*** Is your sound server running?
*** See: http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/Troubleshooting
aplay: main:583: audio open error: Connection refused

Firefox
        as me, no audio
        as root, first 'General Error' in Graphics winodow, kill restart and
          WORKS FINE.

Does this bring anything to mind from anyone who actually has this
stuff running (either with or without pulseaudio)

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg@xxxxxxx