Re: Fedora 10 ctf-alt-F2

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Don Levey <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 6:28 AM, Don Levey <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Is this no longer possible in F10?  The upgrade of my home desktop
>>> depends upon this functionality.
>>
>> Why aren't you just using fast user switching from your desktop to
>> start up the second gdm session for your wife to log into?
>>
>> -jef
>>
> Please forgive my ignorance - what/where is that?

In gnome, you can "switch user" from logout dialog once you are logged
in, or from the switch user applet (which is active in the default
desktop. it the applet showing your name)
The switch user applet also gives you a pull down list of users who
are currently logged in I think as well as letting you log in a new
user into a new desktop session.

When you "switch user" who is not yet logged in, gdm starts a new
greeter and lets the additional user login. You can think switch back
and forth between logged in users using the say switching mechanism.

If you do multiple startx instances I'm not sure the user switching
sees the multiple instances that way, startx might not run coordiated
gdm's. I haven't personally tested that.

-jef