Re: Fedora 10 ypbind error

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve <rwgk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
After installing Fedora 10 from scratch today I'm getting this error in /var/log/messages:

 Dec  8 16:50:44 hostname ypbind: NIS domain: xxxedout, NIS server:
 Dec  8 16:54:03 hostname avahi-daemon[3608]: Received response with invalid source port 34051 on interface 'eth0.0'

I think these two error messages are unrelated. Note that they come from different processes, 4 minutes apart. I was troubleshooting a problem last week (on an fc8 machine) and saw this error message from avahi and sent email to the list asking about it, no one replied. Google was unusually unhelpful in my effort to understand what it means.

The NIS server is serving many other hosts just fine, ranging from Fedora 3 to 9, even Redhat 8.0.
The configuration on the client is the same as on all the other machines; I double-checked.
Would anyone know what could be wrong?

You're not very specific. I am guessing that NIS is not working? Can you nudge it into making more error messages, maybe execute 'ypcat passwd'? Result of '/etc/init.d/ypbind status'?

Dave