Re: Experience with x86_64-only (no i386) in F10?

2008/12/8 Steve Snyder <swsnyder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> 1. In prior versions of Fedora there was no provision for doing a
> 64-bit-only installation.  You had to do a standard x86_64 install,
> then erase all the i386/i686 RPMs.  Is that still the case, or can I
> opt at installation to only install x86_64 and noarch packages?

I did a 64bit install and there don't seem to be any 32bit binaries
(if you don't install them by hand, they are in the repositories).

> 2. What functionality will I be giving up to go 64-bit-only?  In times
> past the immediate answers to this was Flash Player and the Sun JVM
> browser plug-in.  Between the alpha 64-bit Flash Player (which I've
> been successfully using for 3 weeks) and IcedTea, these drawbacks seem
> to have been resolved.  Anything else?

All 32bit binary programs you want to run will not work. Mostly that
will be commercial games, but if you don't use those...

Nels