Re: Workaround for Ksynaptics. (Was preventing people from making a mistake)

On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 11:32 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> This point in this thread seems as appropriate as any to mention
> syndaemon.  It's part of the synaptics (now xorg-x11-drv-synaptics)
> package.  When it runs, it disables the touchpad while the user is
> actively typing on the keyboard and re-enables it after a brief pause
> after the user stops typing.  Sounds very neat

Though not very practical, in practice, I've found.

It adds delays to things, delays that are worse than useless for anyone
who's a fast worker.  I want things to work instantly, not to have do
something, wait, then carry on with the next thing.

And it doesn't help you, at all, for those times in which the touchpad
thinks you're using it, when your hands are somewhat near it, but you're
not actually doing anything.  By the time you reach for a key to type,
the touchpad can have plonked the cursor on some random part of the
screen.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.5-41.fc9.i686