Re: Preupgrade F9->F10 Now No Network Connectivity

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 12:09 AM, Claude Jones
<cjoneslists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 04 December 2008 18:12:39 Curt Stauffer wrote:
>> Good suggestion - I had a USB Ethernet adapter which I plugged in,
>> configured via s-c-network for DHCP and the new adapter is working
>> just fine.  I'm thinking that implies that there is something wrong
>> with the "tulip" driver that comes with F10, since this bad behavior
>> also happens if I boot with the F10 Live CD but not with Ubuntu Live.
>>
>> Any suggestions for next steps?  Google "tulip+fedora"?
>
> sure, why not? but, actually, I don't have a further clue - I've never used a
> USB NIC, so I couldn't help you on that one - I'm sort of surprised no one
> else has made any suggestions...

Problem now solved.

I went into s-c-network and checked to see what the ethernet adapter
was (Davicom Semiconductor 21x4x ...) and then did a Google search on
that.  I found a possible solution on a support list for another free
distro suggesting that the "tulip" driver was causing the problem.
These are the steps I took:

1) edited /etc/modprobe.conf and changed "alias eth0 tulip" to "alias
eth0 dmfe";

2) edited /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and added line "blacklist tulip"
to prevent the tulip driver from being loaded.

I then re-enabled eth0 and rebooted after hard-coding the ip number, etc..

Voila - trouble-free ethernet card once again.

Is this a bugzilla issue now?

Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions, I am most grateful.

-Curt
 Emory University
 Atlanta GA USA