Re: F10 wireless question

Paul W. Frields wrote:
On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 12:58:15PM -0500, fred smith wrote:
OK, next dumb question: Now the NM applet says the wired network is "unmanaged".
It WAS, a couple days ago, working via NM, as I could plug in the cable and
the little icon in the top panel went round and round then it connected.
Today it's not doing anything even if I forcefully disconnect wireless first.
I suppose I must have changed something, but again I can't see what that
would have been.

once again, advice will be appreciated, thanks!

In System > Administration > Network, if your adapter is listed, edit
its settings and make sure "Controlled by NetworkManager" is
selected.  If you don't see the adapter that's not ipso facto a
problem, but my bet is you will.

This works well for some cases, but (a) the option to connect at boot doesn't seem to work, and (b) there still seems to be a problem that the link to the AP is attempted before the supplicant is read to support it. This worked until about six months ago, and then one upgrade to FC9 came out and since then everything seems to work better without NM. Of course in the case where you don't care if NM drops the connection when you log out, or doesn't bring it up at boot, that's less of an issue.

As of the initial official release I still see the behavior, and since I would like mail to be delivered and/or pulled before I log in, I really want the connection to come up and stay up.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>