Re: Fedora 10 Virtualization Question

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Christopher A. Williams
<chriswfedora@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 12:12 -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
>> I want to install Fedora 10 as a host OS on a system that has an Intel
>> P9500 processor, which provides Intel Virtualization Technology and
>> Intel 64. I want to use the virtualization features in Fedora 10 to
>> create Windows XP and Windows Vista virtual machines, with equal or
>> better performance than what VMWare can do. I also want to be able to
>> back up the virtual machines I create to an external device so that I
>> can use them in other boxes.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>
> Short answer: Yes
>
> As a practical matter, install the virtualization package groups (KVM
> and its accompanying tools). We can split hairs about if it is faster
> than VMware workstation, but pragmatically speaking, it will definitely
> pass the "good enough" test.
>
> VMware Workstation on Fedora has its own quirks, but is definitely more
> mature than KVM, and it also is easier to migrate VMs to other VMware
> environments using it.
>
> That said, KVM definitely rocks in its own right.

I'd just like to put in a word for VirtualBox, which has worked, for
me when I couldn't get the current version of VMwareWorkstation to
compile its modules correctly. I also find it more lightweight than
VMW, but that may be largely a matter of perception.

poc