Preupgrade F-8 to F-10: a short saga

I ran preupgrade-cli on my F-8 machine, choosing F-10 to upgrade to.
This worked fine, finding some 800 packages to update.
But when it ended and I re-booted,
the upgrade system failed at the graphics stage.

After various failed attempts, I got the new system to install
by using Knoppix to change
 the level 5 setting in /etc/inittab to 3 (text mode).
by appending "xdriver=vesa" to the kernel line.
After this the new system was completed without problem.
On restoring the inittab setting to 5, and re-booting,
the system again froze at the graphics stage.
However, appending "xdriver=vesa" to the grub kernel line
allowed it to run in graphics mode,
so I changed the driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to "vesa".
On re-booting this runs fine.

The video card in the machine is
VIA "S3 Unichrome Pro VGA Adapter (rev 01)",
according to lspci.
I tried the s3 and via xorg drivers,
but neither of them worked,
so I am left with the vesa driver,