Re: Can not boot Fedora 10 after moving disk to another computer

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Paulo Cavalcanti <promac@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have made a clean install of Fedora 10 two days ago.
>
> Today, I moved the disk to a brand new computer
> with an Intel DG45ID mobo,  an Intel onboard video (the previous computer
> had a nividia card).
>
> The boot goes fine until the point where it starts anacron, and then stops
> forever.
>
> The last services started were, NMB, atd, avahi, cups, anacron.
>
> I can boot this computer with a Fedora 10 on a USB stick, and access the
> hard disk,
> but it always stops after stating anacron, when I try to boot using the hard
> disk.
>
> Does anyone have any clue about what is happening here?
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
> LCG - UFRJ
>
> --

Hi Paulo Roma Cavalcanti!

My guess is that the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is for your old rather
than new computer.

You would probably find some "(EE)" lines in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
file and some things in /var/log/messages..

When you boot from the USB stick look at the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
on the stick and compare with the one on the disk (same directory and
name and all).  Make a copy of your disk's current xorg.conf file and
then edit to access the same display and video interface as does the
one on your USB stick.

I think that it is likey that a ctl+alt+F1 would access the usual
terminal login booting your system as it is..  ctl+alt+F7 should
return you to your non working X server.

Have a lot of fun!

Tod