Re: help

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Md. Nazmul Hamid Reza
<nazmulhamid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hi
> i am running fedora 9 shulphur. i could not install any software in it.
> when i try to install then it shows 'You don't have the necessary privileges
> to install local packages'.
> what can i do?
> plz help me
>

> --

Hi Nazmul Hamid Reza!

You need to become the "Super User" (root).  Most use the "su" command
(do a "man su" at a terminal prompt to view a simple manual on "su").
If you are trying to install from a graphics program use a "gksu
mygraphicscommand" to execute it.

Hopefully the links below will be useful to you:

# Here:

http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules.php?name=MContent&pageid=69

# I found:

" You can change your UID while you are working by using the su
command. What does su stand for? Well, that's a good question. I have
seen several different translations in books and from people on the
Internet. I say that it means "switch UID, " as that's what it does.
However, other possibilities include "switch user" and "super-user."
This command sets your UID to a new one. The syntax is

su <user_name>

where <user_name> is the logname of the user whose UID you want to
use. After running the command, you have a UID of that user.

The shortcoming with this is that all that is changed is the UID and
GID; you still have the environment of the original user. If you want
the system to "pretend" as though you had actually logged in, include
a dash (-). The command would then be

su - <user_name>

What is actually happening is that you are running a new shell as that
user. (Check the ps output to see that this is a new process.)
Therefore, to switch back, you don't need to use su again, but just
exit that shell.

We need to remember that a shell is the primary means by which users
gain access to the system. Once they do gain access, their ability to
move around the system (in terms of reading files or executing
programs) depends on two things: permissions and privileges.

In general, there is no need to switch groups. A user can be listed in
more than one group in /etc/group and the system will grant access to
files and directories accordingly. "

http://tldp.org

Have a lot of fun!

Tod