Re: root in FC 10

--- On Sat, 12/6/08, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: root in FC 10
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 4:11 PM
> On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 01:42 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 16:10:36 +1030
> > Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Compared to logging in graphically as root leaves
> you
> > > much more open to security flaws in the graphical
> systems doing much
> > > more than you were doing.
> >
> > Ah yes, here it is again - GUIS are horribly flawed
> and
> > ridden through with security bugs.
> >
> > If that is really the case, then no one should be
> logging into
> > any GUI at all for any reason since you'll be
> exposing your
> > own data to all those security kooties waiting to leap
> out
> > of the GUIs on them.
> ----
> I think you are spinning this with your own conceptions.
>
> I seem to recall someone saying that no one has audited all
> of the GUI
> applications for security issues and given that code will
> execute at the
> privilege level of the operator, why give unaudited
> programs root
> privileges to operate?
>
> Craig
>
> --

I'm out of time for this but here is what was successfully put into place years before puberty was reached:

Lesson # 1

 How does one set the sticky bit and set UID bits with chmod?

           octal digit>      1            2           3           4
     octal value

            4             set UID         r           r           r

            2             set GID         w           w           w

            1             sticky bit      x           x           x

r   read
w   write
x   execute
s   set UID or set GID
t   set sticky bit

chmod u+st  filename
chmod -R does down the tree

EEWWW! I hope I don't make a mistake...MOMMY!