Re: esc and rhgb

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 12:02 -0500, homburg@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hiding the output on a new install is really counter-intuitive - for
> me. I have never quite understood this obsession with a windows-like
> boot process.

Even more so on a distro like Fedora, where new things get tried all the
time, and bug reports need to be made things that don't work.  But if
the warnings and error messages aren't seen, they don't get seen to.

A case in point, I hate how the shutdown messages are hidden on Fedora
9.  I've got to hit keys to see them.  I've already undone the crap that
hides the start-up messages, so I don't have to do anything to see them,
but haven't seen a way to do the same with the shutdown messages.

And what do I see in the shutdown messages?  A message about failing to
shut down encryption, yet the computer is apparently shutting down fine.
I don't know if that error is important, or if it really is an error.
But it did nothing to let me see the error, I had to go looking for it.

Fedora's hardly a mainstream distro, one that you could stick on
someone's desk, someone who's not really computer literate, and expect
it to just work without any sort of TLC.  So I really do not see the
point in trying to pretty it up, in this area, as if it were.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.5-41.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.