Re: F10: Unrequested automatic installation ::rant

Le Sat, 6 Dec 2008 03:04:10 +0000,
dexter <dex.mbox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> 2008/12/5 lanas <lanas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 08:56:00 -0500,
> > Robert Locke <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote :
> >
> >> This morning after booting and logging in, a little bubble opened
> >> in the lower right hand corner that said some updates were
> >> complete.  I had not requested any updates.  Previous updates had
> >> all been done by me typing "yum update" in a gnome-terminal.
> >
> > OK.  Microsoft gave $500 millions to Novell for SuSE.  How much did
> > they gave to Red Hat, do I ask cynically ?
> >
> > Or worse, is this the result of Windows programmers moving to work
> > on Linux bringing along their great ideas ?
> >
> > If it goes on like that in 3 years from now, major Linux distros
> > will have too many similarities with Windows, and will share the
> > Windows problems of today.  All that's left is to remove that darn
> > root account or better (!), have users always with root privileges.
> >
> > But since Linux is what it is, there'll be hope in 'rebel',
> > rock-solid alternative distros  that do not push by default
> > unwanted system behaviours to users and stick to proven basics.
> > And that doesn't exclude compiz.
> >
> > I'm suprised this packagekit-whatever default behaviour went into
> > production w/o anyone raising a red light.  Even if it's a bug.
> > truly surprising.
> >
> > And how does it update the system exactly w/o root account ?  Or
> > does this GUI thing runs always as root with access to both the
> > system and the internet w/o users knowing it ?
> >
> > My rant.
> >
> > Cheers.
>
> These people need to here this:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-December/msg00431.html

Then, to the question that perhaps a dialog box would improve things, a
Fedora guy replied:

"What would you want the dialog box to say?"

I have a few things in mind, but to write these I would have to leave
the range of alphanumeirc keys.

Cheers.