Re: Weather icons missing in GNOME clock applet [SOLVED-ish]

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 17:51 -0800, Brian Gaynor wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 10:45 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > >
> > > Have you set a location in the applet's configuration? That made the
> > > difference here.
> >
> > Good thought, but yes, I have a location set.  In fact, I tried several
> > cities of increasing size with no joy.
> >
> > If I have no locations, there is no blank space for weather icons in the
> > clock display (which makes sense).  If I have a location, the space is
> > there, but no icons.
> >
> > The icons do show in the location display when I pop the calendar down.
> > The standalone weather applet works as expected.  And on another machine
> > with a similar fresh install, the clock applet works fine too.
>
> I actually had to hit the _SET_ button in the location display (hover
> over the location area to see the button) before I could get weather to
> display. Magic appearing _SET_ button is poor design IMHO.

Aha.  So I hit the SET button, finally figured out that it wanted my
password, not root's, and it replaced the SET button with a home icon.
Now weather displays fine.  In retrospect, it's clear what's going on--I
had wondered how the applet knew what weather to display.

It would be nice if it were at least clearer what was being set by that
button and what privileges were needed to set whatever it is.

Thanks!

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences