Re: root in FC 10

2008/12/5 Mike Dwiggins <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I upgraded a throw away test system from FC 8 to FC 10.  When it finished, I
> tried logging in as root user and could not.
>
> Logging in as a normal user I went to a text session and the su command
> worked with the old root password.
>
> Did I do something wrong or is this something new to 10?

Disabling root login is a common security practice. Sounds like it's
been disabled by default in F10. That's got to be a good thing.

As someone else has said, you can enable it again by fiddling with the
pam files, but please consider whether you really want to do that. Why
not log as a normal user and then use su (or, better, sudo) on the
rare occasions when you need root access?

Dave...