Re: How can one turn off automatic updates on F10?

On Friday 05 December 2008, Tony Molloy wrote:

>On Friday 05 December 2008 02:47:03 Gene Heskett wrote:

>yum remove PackageKIt. Then you have to handle updates yourself.

Automatic needs to be enabled, its the notifications of availability I'd bet he is talking about.

>> However, there is 3 things we need to bz about the installer.

>> 1. It did NOT setup a root account at all, and

>Did for me and I've just done an install. Just can't login to the roo

> account using the GUI.

I knew about that, but my clue was when it asked me for a root passwd to do something, and thinking it was a sudo question I gave it the only passwd I'd entered during the whole install, the one I'd setup for my wife's account since I intend to let her use it to get her feet wet. She isn't exactly "computer literate", lacking the nearly 35 years experience I have.

And got the passwd failed message, twice in 2 attempts. At that point I knew I needed to go fix some pretty basic stuff, and rebooted to the single mode to setup a few more accounts and passwds.

>> 3. It also did not setup a working non-dhcp network, it didn't even ask me

>> about networking. When I looked at ifcfg-eth0, the was still

>> there, even after I'd run system-config-network to set all the local

>> addresses it needs to work here.

>Use the askmethod parameter to the anaconda boot. It will then ask you for

>the static IP info and NetworkManager will set it.

Again, if this is something that must be done, how is a new bee to know that? The install dvd screens did not have a release notes button on the lewer left corner as previous versions have had. I thought that was odd also.

I also don't believe I found NM or network running when I as single user, did a 'system-config-services' to shut off the bluetooth stuff and some other nfs related stuffs, resource wasters in a 372 megabyte machine.

>Tony

[...]

--

Cheers, Gene

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

There are no winners in life, only survivors.