Re: Workstations shutting down for no apparent reason (F8)

Roger Heflin writes:

 > If you have instant off set in the bios, there are a number of
 > motherboards on which the power switch will pick up enough noise
 > (from the wires going to the power switch) to think it was send a
 > proper off signal even though no one is pushing the button...
 >
 > The easiest solution is to not set instant off.

Thank you very much Linuxguy and Roger.  About half of the machines --
the most recent ones -- have "instant off" in the bios.  I will change
the option and see if the problem remains.

No equivalent option in older hardware?

Has anyone some insight about the consequences of disabling acpi?

Alain