Re: Re:B&W Awstats Reports

Please do NOT post HTML to the list, it causes a plethora of problems.
Can't work out how?  Say so...  Someone else using the same mail system
as you may be able to advise.

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 12:59 -0800, elk dolk wrote:
> 1- My Apache web server is working now.

That's good.

> 2- I unistalled awstats-6.8-1.noarch.rpm and installed awstats
> with “yum install awstats” and it worked fine.

While there sometimes is an advantage in installing programs from
outside of repos (newer versions, different features, etc.), there's
advantages in using packages from the usual Fedora repos (you get
updates, automatically, and things generally work together as a system).
I'd use the usual repos, as my first choice.

> 3 – This is /etc/awstats/*.conf :
>
> SiteDomain="nature.com"
>
> HostAliases="nature www.nature 127.0.0.1 localhost"   ///**** this
> line looks strange!

It's a list of different ways that your site could be referred to in the
logs.  Just include the ones that apply to your own site.  The last two
probably aren't applicable, in your case.  I doubt your remotely hosted
site will be accessed through the local loopback address.  The list of
aliases can serve two purposes, depending on how the stats program
works:

To distinguish your own website logs apart from other websites, if the
log is a combination of several sites.

To distinguish apart referrers from your own site and others.  Referrers
being the location that referred to a page.  e.g. Someone loads your
homepage, and they came from someone else's homepage - you'll see where
they came from.  Depending on what your site is about, most of your
referrers may be your own site (people browsing around your pages), or
most may be external (people came from somewhere else, and only looked
at one of your pages).

> DirIcons="/awstatsicons"
>
>  ///**** Alias /awstatsicons "/usr/share/awstats/wwwroot/icon/" path
> is O.K.

I presume you mean with the "Alias" line in your webserver
configuration.

> 4- This is /etc/httpd/conf.d/awstats.conf :
>
> Alias /awstatsicons "/usr/share/awstats/wwwroot/icon/"

Try without the trailing slashes on the paths.  And make sure that there
are icon image files in:  /usr/share/awstats/wwwroot/icon/  And that the
path end is "icon" not "icons" (change your config files if they're
wrong).

> 5 – I think I am close but still my reports are black &
> white , I miss icons !

As well as my above advice, how are you trying to read the statistics?
The usual way is through the webserver, supplying part of the awstats
configuration file as the configuration parameter.

e.g. If your configuration file is /etc/awstats/awstats.mywebsite.conf
(which seems to be the expected pattern), then the parameter you supply
would just be "mywebsite", thus:

http://localhost/awstats/awstats.pl?config=mywebsite

(protocol, server address, script location, script, parameters)

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.5-41.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.