Re: Preupgrade F9->F10 Now No Network Connectivity

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Curt Stauffer <cgstauffer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Claude Jones
> <cjoneslists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon December 1 2008, Curt Stauffer wrote:
>>> One unusual thing is that I see
>>> quite a few "errors" in the packets sent part of the ifconfig display,
>>> which is unusual for my network connection (at work on the
>>> University's Academic network, rock solid).
>>
>> could it be something as dumb as a bad cable, or connection? are the network
>> LED's lit up at the computer NIC and at the Switch ends of your connection?
>>
>> you mentioned route as being correct, by that you meant gateway?
>>
>> I had an upgrade once that confused the network configurations and criss-
>> crossed the external and outside NIC's - I discovered this by clicking on the
>> 'bind to hardware address' button in s-c-network
>
> The connections were fine yesterday AM when I ran preupgrade to
> download the newer packages.
>
> Yes, the 'route' command showed that the defaut gateway address looks
> correct so far as I can tell (it matches the value given to me by our
> networking folks).
>
> I've looked through /var/log/messages for 'eth0' and don't see
> anything indicative of a problem (other than NM saying it was ignoring
> eth0, which is what I expected since I'm using s-c-network due to it
> being a static address.
>
> I may try switching it to DHCP and seeing if it then works, that might
> narrow down the source of the problem.

Switching to DHCP made no difference, although I did notice that the
DHCP negotiaton must have happened because I saw reasonable-looking IP
numbers for the workstation and gateway.

I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here, can someone
give me some suggestions of things to try or things to look for?
Could firewall be a problem?

Thanks again,
-Curt