Re: has K3B been abandoned?

On Monday 01 December 2008, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 00:48:40 -0500 (EST), D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>> I never use k3b's verify anyway.  I'm too impatient to let it complete
>> the calculation of the hash of the .iso file.  k3b seems to forget
>> that the hash is wrong (not completely calculated) and thus the
>> subsequent verification is reported as failing rather than being
>> impossible to perform.
>
>Another bug? Interesting.
>Is this in bugzilla (also upstream) already?

I think the md5sum it calculates is correct, but it does not remember how many
bytes to check on the disk check, so like I just demoed with dd, you have to
divide the iso's size by 2048, and tell dd to read count blocks of 2048
bytes.  Then, as I just demoed with dd and sha1sum, it Just Works(TM).  If
left to its own devices, dd reads 2 blocks too many and the sum is then
contaminated by the extra data.

k3b worked fine back at F2, but hasn't worked since, and the first problem now
is that it doesn't wait for the drive to recognize the disk after it is
pulled back in, and instead reports instantly that there is no media
available.

I know enough C to be dangerous, but much of k3b is in C++ and I've never been
able to get my aged wet ram wrapped around C++, or I would have fixed it. At
least 2 years ago.

And yes, it was bz'd and close with a won't fix, long enough back up the log I
have NDI what the number may have been. 2-3 years ago anyway.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

   -- From a Slashdot.org post