Re: some feedback on fedora 10

--- On Sun, 11/30/08, Marc Wilson <msw@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Marc Wilson <msw@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: some feedback on fedora 10
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 5:56 AM
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 05:37:34PM -0800, Russell Miller
> wrote:
> > 3)  One thing I would really, really like - and
> I'm half tempted to just
> > write it myself - is a tool to take the stock fedora
> kernel and build a
> > new one - with the options that *I* want.
>
> You should, if you think it should exist.  How do you think
> things get
> done, other than by people scratching an itch?
>
> OTOT, 99.99999% of people out there have no need for a
> custom kernel, and
> that other 0.00001% have strange ideas of why they think
> they *do*.  More
> than likely, you have no need for one either.  Whether you
> want one, is an
> entirely different thing.
>
> --
>  Marc Wilson |     When a man knows he is to be hanged in a
> fortnight,
>  msw@xxxxxxx |     it concentrates his mind wonderfully.
> -- Samuel
>              |     Johnson
>
> --

The numbers might be different, but who cares, there are lies, damn lies and statistics :)

He wants a way to make a new kernel,

http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora

will give him instructions to create a new kernel, the fedora way(rpm) or even by compiling on page 2 which should work on most if not all distros.

There are some folks on the list that need to compile their own kernel(s) because the Fedora kernel as great as it is, does not support some of their hardware (eg, ndiswrapper, other drivers like Ethernet modules) which are not in the stock kernels.  Other users want to stay as current as possible, and sometimes Fedora's kernels are a little bit behind(it took a great while for a 2.6.27 kernel to get to Fedora, official, not from Koji :) ), and the list might go on.

Most people do not have the need for a new kernel since the official Fedora ones do the job, but there might be special needs that the OP has, so he can go on and build his custom kernel.

Regards,

Antonio