Re: Warning: rpmfusion nvidia driver needs a special xorg.conf setup.

On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 18:11 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 29.11.2008 17:52, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 13:53 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >> On 29.11.2008 00:16, Christopher A. Williams wrote:

<snip...>
> > Wow... A simple "No, it's not working on F10 yet because, among other
> > things, the only known way to get it to work is to downgrade libdrm -
> > which we think is a _really_ bad idea!" would have done just fine.
>
> It wasn't meant as offense. If it came over as one: sorry.

No worries - I forgive you... :)

> > I spent a few minutes digging on this. The hacks you mentioned appear to
> > date back to releases of the ATI drivers that are earlier than what is
> > currently available from AMD.
>
> Then you to the best of my knowledge digged into the wrong direction.
> See: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=205030&page=2

Indeed...!

I followed this thread and found much more current information from many
of the same posters. So, if I read this correctly, the only known way to
work around what amounts to bad coding practice by ATI/AMD in their
proprietary drivers (Sheesh! I can't believe developers still like to
hard code directory paths when there's no reason to!!!) would be to use
bad packaging practice.

> > Perhaps it would also help if this issue was actually communicated
> > someplace conspicuous on the RPMFusion site. Not everyone looking at
> > RPMFusion will pick up a small paragraph at the end of a rather long
> > post in fedora-announce.
>  >
> > I'm looking at RPMFusion.org right now, and there's absolutely nothing
> > there about this. But there is something in the FAQ section about why
> > people _should_ install the RPMFusion nVidia and ATI drivers, and that
> > in turn provides a link to the "RPMFusionSwitcher" page, which gives
> > complete instructions on how to (allegedly for ATI) do it.
> >
> > I think the RPMFusion team would save a lot of people (let alone
> > themselves) a fair amount of pain and anguish if they:
> > 1) Provided status on the site (takes less time than it took for you to
> > write your message
> >
> > 2) Asked for help, including giving a technical explanation of the
> > problem(s) with libdrm in F10 and fglrx - or whatever else is the issue.
> >
> > Maybe then, enough people would escalate things with AMD that they might
> > actually do something to fix the problem, assuming the issue is with the
> > proprietary driver. If I knew enough about complex packaging of drivers
> > for X, I would gladly help. Unfortunately I'm an Enterprise
> > Infrastructure Architect, and am not "hacker qualified" in the X.org
> > driver development area.
>
> Fully agreed. But that needs volunteers and people that actually do
> that. most RPM Fusion contributors are already overloaded. Would you
> want to help?

RPMFusion Wiki Account / Profile and Bugzilla account created
successfully. Glad to help where I am able. Let me know...

Cheers,

Chris