Re: F10 Crash on laptop Radeon 200M

On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 11:44 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 12:02:13 -0500,
>   Wade Hampton <wadehamptoniv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Finally upgraded my Gateway laptop with ATI Radeon Express 200M video
> > to Fedora 10.  The computer now only stays up for a few minutes when X
> > is running, then locks up -- no keyboard, mouse, and display freezes.
> > I am not sure if I can ssh to it (not yet tested).  This is my wife's
> > laptop and has been running Fedora 6 and was VERY stable for several
> > years....  Wife is not very happy at this point.  Note, I reported
> > this to RedHat bugzilla (and D. Jones at Redhat already had opened a
> > bug on this some time ago).
> >
> > I also tried to get the non-free driver working but it won't build
> > with Fedora 10 yet.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem (this was sent
> > from XP on the same laptop),
>
> It's probably worth disabling modesetting to see if that fixes the problem.
> Either way a bug report is a good idea.

Ironically, as I was reading this thread, this exact thing happened to
me! X just totally froze up on my desktop. No keyboard, no mouse.
Nothing.

I did notice that the system clock at the top was still ticking seconds
away. Boy am I glad I changed _that_ setting. :) Otherwise I would have
thought the system was totally frozen.

I was able to use my laptop (also running F10) to ssh to the afflicted
desktop machine and reboot it from there.

I don't think this particular problem is a driver issue with ATI. My
desktop is currently running the RPMFusion nVidia drivers on a GeForce
7100 chip set. This more likely has to be X or some other related
component.

Since you already created it, let us know the Bugzilla number and I'll
add my info to it.

Cheers,

Chris