Re: open nautilus in text mode?

On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 16:06 -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
> I've got a folder with 300K recovered jpegs that vary from teeny to
> several megs. I tried to open the folder with Nautilus and got a 10
> hour delay and  the whole display is so clumsy (slow) as to be
> useless.
>
> I'd like to take about 1K of the biggest files and move them to some
> other folder but don't see how to do this with the icon view turned
> on. So.....
>
> Does anyone know how to invoke nautilus with a details view rather
> than icon view?

I'm inclined to suggest using another file manager, rather than the
Nautilus file *BROWSER* (it's not really featured enough to be called a
manager), such as "emelfm2" (which has various handy filtering options).
I find it much better for managing files, and far less painful than MC
(midnight commander), which is hideous to use with a mouse.

But if you want to use Nautilus, what about opening it at some other
directory, first, then changing the view mode.  Perhaps you might want
to go into the preferences, and temporarily turn off the thumbnail
previews feature.  Though you still might have a long wait as it tries
to process the files to tell you what types of files they are.  Turning
off some of the columns it can display can help, too.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.5-41.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.