Re: getting /lib/ld-linux.so.2 on a 64-bit f10 preview install?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>  so you're suggesting just installing the i[36]86 version of glibc?  i
> had considered that, but wasn't sure if that would cause any conflicts
> so i was reluctant to test it.  and, based on another commenter here,
> i'm not the only person who's run into this, so surely this issue must
> have been addressed before, no?

Sorry I haven’t got back to this for a while…

Practically anything 32 bit will need a 32 bit glibc, on 32 bit or 64
bit. The Ubuntu approach is to have a separate compatibility 32 bit
.deb, which is fairly simple, but doesn’t help if you need a library
that isn’t in that .deb.

The Fedora approach has been to extend RPM so that you can install both
32 bit and 64 bit RPMs at the same time. That’s why the 32 bit RPMs are
in the 64 bit repository in the first place. RPM will install 64 bit
programs in preference to any 32 bit programs, put the 64 bit libraries
in …/lib64 (which is why we have lib64 directories), and put 32 bit
libraries in …/lib (as normal). Everything else has to be the same
between the 64 bit version of the RPM and the 32 bit version, and Fedora
library RPMs make sure that they are.

That way everything basically works as expected.

In any case, yum and rpm can spot most conflicts.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | "What is endlessly fascinating about US politics, you
aprilcottage.co.uk | think about the most insane thing that could happen -