Re: Playing CDs in F10 fails: addendum

Joachim Backes wrote:
Paul W. Frields wrote:
Hello Joachim,

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 08:01:41PM +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
after upgrading to F10, any try to play music CDs fails with each
player tool: rhythmbox, gmplayer, realplayer, ...  I have 2 kinds of
cd drives: external USB and internal IDE. Both fail to play CD.  But
if I copy any track to some directory, I can play such a wav file.
All F10 updates have been applied.  Somebody made similar
experiences?

When I inserted a music CD in my player, I received a prompt as
expected, opened Rhythmbox, and when I selected "Play" for the CD it
played as expected.  Could this be a specific hardware-related bug?

You don't mention exactly how it fails.  If you could be more precise,
it would help people who are trying to diagnose your problem.

Hi Paul,

Addendum: running rhythmbox under root, cds are played perfectly.

1. Insert the CD in /dev/sr2: the CD icon appears on the desktop.
2. rhythmbox is started automatically: I hear some access noises
    from the
    CD player, then rhytmbox says: "not playing".
    Nevertheless, I can drag some tracks to the desktop by rhythmbox.
3. Having a look in /var/log/messages shows some lines:

Nov 27 09:05:49 eule kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr2, logical block 1 Nov 27 09:05:49 eule kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr2, logical block 2 Nov 27 09:05:49 eule kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr2, logical block 3 Nov 27 09:05:49 eule kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr2, logical block 4 Nov 27 09:05:49 eule kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr2, logical block 5 Nov 27 09:05:49 eule kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr2, logical block 6 Nov 27 09:05:49 eule kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr2, logical block 7
Nov 27 09:05:49 eule kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr2, sector 0
Nov 27 09:05:49 eule kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr2, logical block 0 Nov 27 09:05:49 eule kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr2, logical block 1

ls -l /dev/sr2
brw-rw----+ 1 root disk 11, 2 Nov 27 09:02 /dev/sr2

When you do the "id" command as your normal user, are you a member of the "disk" group? What are the permissions on the other players, I assume there are sr0 and sr1 devices as well.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>