Re: does the DVD ISO for F10 ever change?

Hi;

I posed the same question a while ago.  I was shown how to write a
script for yum that works successfully.  It was much like the one
suggested here.  However ....

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 17:15 -0500, Chris Snook wrote:
> Steven Stern wrote:
> > Fred Silsbee wrote:
> >> Let me explain:
> >>
> >> I just downloaded F10 dvd iso and burned it onto a DVD -R
> >>
> >> It works great and survived a number of tests.
> >>
> >> Question: If I repeat the procedure in a few months, will the data change due to updates!
> >>
> >> I.e. does the dvd iso image keep up with updates?
> >>
> >> If not, I'd expect that the backlog of yum updates would be staggering in a few months.
> >>

> > See "re-spins" at http://fedoraunity.org/
> >

> More generally, we don't change the contents of any distribution file (be it
> .rpm or .iso) without renaming it, except when we sign RPMs.  Otherwise we'd get
> false alarms all over the place about GPG signatures not matching, and then
> people would ignore those warnings when their downloads got corrupted or an
> attacker successfully served them a trojaned file.  The rename may be as simple
> as incrementing a version number or adding a datestamp, but something will change.
>
> -- Chris

since there seems to be a demand for it shouldn't yum have a '--from'
option?  Programs like rsync have such an option that directs the rsync
program to read a text file that contains a list of programs that are
regularly upgraded.  In the case of yum -y --from /my/usual/upgrades, a
user could simply maintain a list of programs to be upgraded in an
'upgrades' file and yum would know how to read it, keep signatures
straight, etc.

Just a thought, maybe for a feature request ...

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3