Re: F-10 text install, now want GUI

--- On Thu, 11/27/08, C Lance Moxley <clmoxley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: C Lance Moxley <clmoxley@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: F-10 text install, now want GUI
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 7:05 AM
> For whatever reason, a system that I installed F-10 on
> didn't like the
> display and had to be installed via text mode. Now I want
> to go back
> and try to get X working. In the past,
> system-config-display would get
> me started. What is the process with F-10? I thought
> I'd look at a
> working F-10 system but I don't seem to even have
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
>
> Fwiw, F-8 was installed and working fine on this system
> before.
>
> --
> C Lance Moxley
> http://moxley.us/
>
> --

system-config-display was depracted since the native detection works for most combinations, but not all :(, I have been also at this end, but youc an fix it as following:

You have two options

1) as root user (su -c )
# yum install system-config-display
and use
$ system-config-display
to setup/configure your system

2) use
# Xorg -configure

You should see something like

Your xorg.conf file is /root/xorg.conf.new

To test the server, run 'X -config  /root/xorg.conf.new'

test it using that and if it works, you as root user (su -) copy the file over to /etc/X11

# cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then change as root user
# /etc/inittab

from 3 to 5 so that the system starts in level 5 with gui :)

Regards,

Antonio